java 2RE

Gilles Gravier Gilles at Gravier.org
Sat Dec 30 09:38:26 UTC 2006

I use the self extracting binary... I don't like the idea of installing
RPMs on a DEB environment.

I did have to tweak the "alternatives" settings for that to be properly
integrated into ubuntu, but you can do it simply by modifying what the
/usr/bin/java and other related binaries link to (they point to
/etc/alternatives/XXX which you need to link to what you want).

I've just done this to get Java 1.6 to run... quite nicely... on my
Ubuntu laptop.

Gilles.