Home IMAP server

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 30 01:49:56 UTC 2006

Avi Schwartz wrote:
> Colin Brace wrote:
>

>> On 12/30/06, Avi Schwartz <ubuntu-users874 at cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
>>

>>> It all depends on the ISP when I was using Speakeasy, I had a static IP
>>> and I had no problem of being blocked so I was my primary transport.
>>> Unfortunately, at least in my area, Comcast does not offer static IPs so
>>> I had to change to relaying through my ISP.  I still receive all my mail
>>> directly though
>>>

>> By "direct" I take it to mean incoming mail is delivered directly to
>> your MTA... but how do you do this if you don't have a permanent IP
>> number? Your MX record needs to point to a permanent address, no?
>>

> I don't have a static IP for 3 years now and I still have my own domain
> and everything works.  Sites like dyndns or freedns (there are others
> too, but I am only familiar with dyndns) come to the rescue.  You
> install a small program on your machine (some routers even have it built
> in!) and when your ISP changes your IP, the program connects to the that
> company's site and updates your DNS records.  It has worked very well
> for me.
>
> Avi

I use no-ip for the same thing. Works like a charm.

My website is hosted at home (personal one not the business one). I use
fetchmail, dovecot and postfix to d/l my and my families many email
accounts into one imap account each, linked to our logins, I have SSL
imap and squirrelmail available for offsite access to these imap
accounts and it works well.

Fetchmail is a bit of a resource hog, but it and the mail all run on
their own server not the desktop so this is not really a problem.
Squirrelmail can't use my normal yahoo smtp account to send, but can use
my ISPs account so I can send and receive whether I be at home or behind
the work firewall.

A bit of a pain to decipher and set up, just ask Wade Smart ;-), but
well worth it if you travel, have multiple mail accounts or multiple
machines at home.

--
Kind Regards Russell