Intro and a few questions

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 29 18:42:51 UTC 2006

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> >
> > Addendum:
> >
> > I just realized that I forgot to tell you if you use 'cron' or 'at'
> > the output of whatever command you invoke will be mailed to you.
> > This can get quite large for something like mplayer that updates
> > the screen like it does. To fix this add '>/dev/null 2>&1' to then
> > end of your commands. Like this...
> >
> >    user at host$ at 4:30 AM
> >    > mplayer /path/to/some/music/file/my.mp3 >/dev/null 2>&1
> >    > <EOT>
>
>     Just for grins: someone over in the community section contributed
> a great idea for mplayer.  See this:
>
> ssh -Y ws02 "mplayer tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0"

Mmmmm... that is nifty. I wish I had more time to dabble in the black
arts of SSH forwarding and tunneling. I've been lusting after a down
and dirty "on demand web cam" security system sort of thingy for a
while now but hadn't considered SSH. A permutation of the above looks
like a solution. :)

/sez me, wondering if I'll have to install X on my server now.... ;)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.