Home IMAP server

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 29 18:27:45 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Please, forgive the question. To what are you refering with MTA and
> MDA? This comment seems to imply that they are mutually exclusive. I'm
> now re-confused. Which programs are MTA's and which are MDA's? In my
> point of view, postfix transfers and delivers email.

Postfix, Exim, Qmail, etc are MTAs (mail transfer agents).  procmail and
maildrop are MDAs (mail delivery agents).  In Todd's scenario, with postfix
& procmail, bogofilter is done in the MDA.  I've used both postfix & exim
without an MDA (delivering directly into an IMAP INBOX) and then you would
need the spam software hooked directly into the MTA.

>> > Yes, my problem exacty. I didn't even know to start googling postfix
>> > unti lI was it mentioned. And English terminology is so inconsistent-
>> > why can't everyone just speak Hebrew?!? :)
>>
>> LOL.  Isn't the technical jargon just English in Hebrew characters?
>
> Depends on who's speaking. Some people use English or Russian words
> with Hebrew prononciation, but most people, like myself, use the real
> Hebrew words. It's very annoying to hear English words in the middle
> of a Hebrew sentance. :)

I dare say :-)
--
derek