Ubuntu as Musical Workstation

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 00:30:39 UTC 2006

I'm planning to get a new PC -probably a laptop- and a midi keyboard.
Because of this I have a few questions I'd like to have some advice
on.

* Can Ubuntu be used as a musical workstation?  That is, are there
applications that will do (more or less) the same things as Protools
and Cubase?

* How powerful hardware is recommended for a Ubuntu / Linux -based
musical workstation?  I guess the more RAM the better, and it should
have a fast HDD.  Anything else?

* Does Ubuntu, or perhaps rather the appropriate applications, support
MIDI via USB and / or Firewire?  Will any keyboard using standard Midi
work?  I think the CME UF7 is very promising
(http://www.cme-pro.com/products-list/product-uf.html) but if it won't
work with Ubuntu I'd rather find something else.

* Are there other things to consider or that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Bjørn Ingmar Berg