Home IMAP server

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 28 19:43:18 UTC 2006

John French wrote:

> Interesting thread. I am struggling with the planning of a similar
> set-up. And I had got to about where the thread has reached.
>
> All the suggestions so far have specified fetchmail. At about this
> point, I stumbled on getmail. Their respective advocates both suggest
> the other is deficient, which may mean both are OK.
>
> Any wisdom available ?

I used getmail for a brief time but really didn't see any definable
difference. For me they both chugged along collecting mail from my half
dozen or so accounts without a hitch, but then I don't have anything
out of the ordinary to deal with in that respect.

In the end the decision of which one to use in "production" was based on
support. There's several umpteen billion fetchmail users out there and
about 11 getmail users. ;-) If I ever do have a problem it's sure money
I'll find a solution to it at Google a lot faster because someone else
has already been there, done that.

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.