Home IMAP server

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Dec 25 23:48:46 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> As I'll soon be getting a laptop, I need to move my mail from Kmail to
> an IMAP server that I'll be running locally. I'll read mail from it in
> Kmail both locally and on the laptop while away.
>
> What IMAP servers would the Ubuntu community recommend? What should I
> know about the differences between them before I start? Thanks.

Dovecot is my preference.  Simple and no unnecessary bells & whistles.

The different servers have a tendency to define their default namespaces
differently - in Kmail you just click on the "reload" icon
beside "namespace" in the IMAP configuration, and you're set.  I haven't
had any trouble with any of the IMAP servers I've accessed from KMail.
--
derek