Problems with new iPod and Edgy

Ed Smits ed.smits at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 01:41:04 UTC 2006

My daughter got a brand new 4GB iPod nano for Christmas and we can't
get it working with her new Edgy - the system sees the iPod but
doesn't mount it. When I plug in either of the other 2 nanos (a 2GB
and a 4 GB one) here they get mounted automatically, not her new one.
Watching the activity in Device Manager as we plug and unplug the
various iPods -

all show up under the USB EHCI Host Controller entry - SCSI Device -
iPod, however the new iPod is listed as "Volume (via_raid_member)"
whereas the 2 older ones are listed by their names as assigned to them
in iTunes in XP when the iPods were first initialised. The new iPod
has also been initialised via iTunes in the same way.

Any ideas as to why the names isn't being properly recognized and the
iPod being auto-mounted?

Cheers. Hope I get an answer soon - she returns home in a week and I
promised her that Ubuntu could handle it all, so far this is the only
sticky issue.

Ed