Where are my partitions?

Scott J. Henson sjh at sjhserv.net
Mon Dec 25 09:54:43 UTC 2006

Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> I know where I need to mount them. In fact I've already made the windows
> directory in Media. I can't SEE the directories anywhere in order to
> know their names! In older versions of Ubuntu, there was a place where I
> could see ALL the HD, even though it wasn't accessible for any use.
> Where is that place? I must have access to my Fat partition, because
> that's where all my data is. Please tell me where I can see the entire HD.

I think your looking for "Computer" under Ubuntu (I don't
know what it is under Kubuntu).  Its under the "Places"
menu, right next to the "Applications" menu, usually in the
top, left part of the screen.  I don't have a Windows
partition, but thats where all my USB mass storage devices
pop up and where I can get to the root partition in Nautilus.

Also, you don't have to make the directory in media.  It
will usually make it for you.  If you want to mount the
filesystem in the terminal, the command you are looking for
is 'pmount'.  Supply it with the partition you want to
mount, and it will create the directory in /media and mount
the device with the proper permissions.  Usually the
partition is going to be named /dev/hdxy or /dev/sdxy.  x
being a letter, starting at a and corresponding to the hard
drive.  y being the partition, denoted by a number.
'pumount' is the corresponding unmount command when you want
to unmount the partition.