libdvdcss2 installed, but encrypted DVDs no longer play

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Sat Dec 23 23:53:56 UTC 2006

Lorin Pino wrote:
>> My DVD drive has stopped playing region encrypted DVDs - doesn't matter
>> what player (MythTV, mplayer, xine...).  However, libdvdcss2 has always
>> been installed (originally the PLF one, but I'm currently trying
>> 1.2.9-2medibuntu1) and I'm not aware that anything else has changed
>> since it was working.
>>
>> I'm almost thinking it's a sudden hardware problem, but is that even
>> possible?  It plays non-encrypted content fine.  Does anyone have any
>> ideas?  How would I troubleshoot this further?
>>
> I am running the plf version 1.2.9-1 with no problems.  Have you tried
> going back to that version to see if things work again with that
> version?  I have no idea why it would quit working, but if that is the
> only change you made, see if the previous version works.  If it doesn't,
> then you know your problem is somewhere else.

1.2.9-1 is what I was running before too, and I still have the deb -
I've switched it back, no change.  (I'm running Edgy, of course.)
That's what makes me think "hardware", because unless I installed an
update that I have forgotten about, I'm pretty sure nothing changed in
between working and not working.  But has anyone heard of a DVD player
developing a hardware fault that only stops encrypted content playing?

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor