Installing Ubuntu in an external HD

José Manuel Martínez Martínez pitragoras at yahoo.es
Sat Dec 23 21:25:15 UTC 2006

Hi Thomas,
My answer is in upper case in your message. Look at it below!
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:11:52 +0100
From: Thomas Kaiser <ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li>
Subject: Re: Installing Ubuntu in an external HD
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,	not for general discussions"
	<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

Jos? Manuel Mart?nez Mart?nez wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is the first time I take part in this list (I've just joined it,
> indeed). I'm a newbie in Linux so I get lost just install it.
> I have a Toshiba laptop and recently bought an external 80GB HD. I
> downloaded a live cd of the 6.10 ubuntu distribution and I've installed
> it already (I created a NTFS partition, a ext3 and a swarp one. I've
> used the visual installation assistant.
> It seems to work fine BUT I've discovered that I need to have my
> external HD plugged any time I switch on my computer since otherwise
> GRUB says an error has happened and so on without giving me a chance to
> choose OS. Whereas if the external HD is plugged works fine (as I said).
> What I would like to do is to start my computer and have GURB working
> properly (or no GURB at all) when the external HD isn't plugged to the
> laptop, but when it is it should work.
> Any idea? Please, I don't know much about linux so an explanation for
> dummies would be really wonderful.
> Thank you very much!
>
> Pitragoras

Hello Jose

Just some questions on your setup to figure out what you need:
You did install Ubuntu on the external (USB) HD? YES
What is on your main HD? WINDOWS AND ALL MY FILES, PROGRAMS...
Where did you install GRUB? MBR? on which HD? NOW, I'M LOST. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN HD0 sda1 THE
INTERNAL HD I ASSUME
When you boot with the external HD plugged, do you boot from this HD? YES, AND IT WORKS FINE.

NOW I TRIED TO MODIFY THINGS THROUGH THIS
IN TERMINAL I TYPED:
SUDO CHROOT /MEDIA/SDA1

AND THEN

SUDO GRUB INSTALL HD0,0

AND NOW I CONTINUE LIKE BEFORE AND I CAN'T RUN WINDOWS EVEN WITH THE EXTERNAL HD PLUGGED.

I'M REALLY WORRIED.

ANY TIP?

THANKS!
Regards, Thomas