wireless network + wired network = ?

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 22 20:37:46 UTC 2006

Got a problem that I'm not quite sure how to solve. First a brief bit of
background information...

Have wireless network provided by a linksys router, it covers our house.
Thing is the signal is not good enough in my room and moving the router
isn't an option. So I have run a 30m cable that plugs into the wireless
router and run it to my room.

I'm a sociable kind of chap so often have need to have more than one
computer connected in my room at a time, but there is only one cable.

One of the computers in my room has two NICs (call it MrT), so, is it
possible for one NICs to be connected to the wireless router, while the
other one is connected to an ethernet switch in my room, where many
other computers can also plugin in and somehow access the internet via
MrT and also the computer connected directly to the linksys....?

I'm sure it would involve some firewall forwarding rules and I can use
firehol for that. But is simple forwarding enough?

If the computers on the linksys use 192.168.1.0 can the computers with
MrT also use this subnet? I'm thinking not, but not sure why, as you can
see I'm a bit confused :) Been a long day. Help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Gabe