Weird GNOME behaviour (in Dapper and Edgy)

Juan Carlos Becerra Irene jcarlos10 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 19:29:01 UTC 2006

> That's new for me, I actually never had the idea to check if the apps
> run in the background...

Running  ps aux from the terminal will show you a list of the processes
running.

I have never waited long enough to see if the applications finally open (as
you described in your first post), what I usually do is using kill as an act
of desperation. (kill <processid> after running ps aux)

But you have to make sure to have an open terminal before the weird behavior
happens, because last time I got it I wasn't able to open it either.

Another thing I noticed was that when having the problem, I plugged a usb
flash memory and when it recognized it, a Nautilus window opened (as
expected if not having the problem), after that I was able to open more
Nautilus windows using the File-> New Window menu, but only that worked, if
I clicked on the Home icon or any other, everything was the same (No windows
open).

Really weird.

And to wether disabling DHCP (using a static adress) works: No, it
> doesn't. I tried it but the problems occured then, too...
>
> So I'm went back to using Network Manager and thus DHCP...

And the problem did only happen to me once in the last 10 days, so I
> decided to just live with it... But please post any fixes that you might
> find!

Maybe I will have to live with that too. If I find something I'll tell you
for sure.

Regards,
Juan Carlos