How can one say Linux is $-free . . . ?

Rutger van Haasteren rvhaasteren at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:09:43 UTC 2006

It is about free as in liberty. So even if you have paid money for software
that is GPLd, then you have the right to redistribute it. Even for free. So
it is ok to charge money, but don't count on becoming rich.

== quote ==

A program is free software if users have all of these freedoms. Thus, you
should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications,
either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone
anywhere<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html#exportcontrol>.
Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do not
have to ask or pay for permission.
== /quote ==

Rutger