Is it crazy to buy a MacBook?

Rick Greep RickGreep at cti-consulting.com
Sun Dec 17 00:39:00 UTC 2006

> >> Buying a MacBook is not... but deleting Mac OSX is crazy!
> >
> > No, it's not. I already did.

	Within a couple of months of buying my PowerBook G4 (ppc) I realized the
gooey sweet candy coating OSX had over BSD was too much to handle. I compared
a few flavors of linux and went with Fedora 4. About six months ago I
installed kubuntu and have been very impressed. (Almost) everything works,
even the Airport card which I had believed I would never use again works.

> I would recommend keeping a minimal OSX install on the drive, as future
> firmware updates for the hardware may only be installable while booted
> into OSX. A tiny 5GB partition shouldn't be to difficult to part with.

	Just this week I have been playing with Mac-on-Linux. After a number of
stumbling blocks, I have a 5G version of OSX 10.3.9 running on another
terminal. Now I can watch wmv9 videos and play my iTunes while letting linux
control everything on the rest of the box. I have Tiger but I don't really
have a reason to upgrade.

	The Apple hardware is extremely well designed. About a year ago I dropped my
open, running, laptop down a staircase. Aside from a dent in the corner,
everything survived without any problems. My previous (plastic) Dell laptops
would have exploded on the first bounce.

	The only problem I have with the machine is with the PPC processor. The
processor itself is great, but it is very hard to find working codecs, wine
or other applications which will run under linux on this processor. The i386
platform sounds like a winner, but I would remove OSX in a heartbeat.

--
Rick Greep, Core Technologies, Inc.
RickGreep at cti-consulting.com