SMP with Ubuntu 6.10

yorlick kilroy yorlick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 18:38:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get the most out of my Intel Core 2 Duo on Ubuntu 6.10. I read
that you need to install the SMP kernel in order to get multiprocessor
support on ubuntu. I currently have  the   2.6.17-10-generic kernel running
on my Ubuntu installation and "top" tells me that I have 2 CPUs. When I
search for an smp package in synaptic, the package manager tell me that the
linux-686-smp is obsoleted by the linux-image-generic which is the current
image installed.

This confuses me. Does this mean that I don't need to install any SMP
packages as they are all included already? Is there a good benchmark for
dual core CPUs for linux?

cheers
Yorlick