OpenOffice 2.1 with fglrx: possible problem

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Dec 13 16:45:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just downloaded the OpenOffice 2.1 debs from openoffice.org. The
installation was absolutely painless on my Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper.

However just a bit of warning for the adventurous people that cannot wait
until the official packages will be available.
In my case I _was_ using the ati drivers on my machine.

Now when I tried to start the executable(s) I was greeted with a flood
of "fglrx: cannot connect to APIxxxx messages" (or similar), instead of a
running swriter, scalc and so on. It simply did not work.

For a quick fix I had to change my display driver from "fglrx" to "ati" in
xorg.conf. That did the trick for me. I am now enjoying the new version but
my 3D is a bit slow.;-)) I do not care since I do not need 3D, but maybe
others will.

I will investigate this a little further since my ATI drivers were rather
outdated, So this is meant just to inform you....

Kind regards
Eberhard