Ubuntu on a 486?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 13 10:31:33 UTC 2006

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.12.2006, 07:29 +0100 schrieb Adriano Varoli Piazza:

> Perfect, but Edubuntu isn't Ubuntu, and their devs get paid
> accordingly (see my other mail, I don't mean to imply this is good,
> wrong or whatever, just that it is (or might be, if I'm not getting
> things wrong)).
I'm the only paid edubuntu developer and edubuntu is quite bigger than
me ;)

edubuntu is developed *inside* of ubuntu, like kubuntu and xubuntu are,
every development i do in edubuntu is something ubuntu gets benefit
from ... i.e. LTSP is essentially developed in edubuntu, simply because
its our reference implementation of a deeply integrated LTSP by default,
but that doesnt mean LTSP is limited to edubuntu, you can use it in
ubuntu and get the results of the work done in edubuntu under ubuntu.

> > To quote Oliver Grawert ( who is invoved in Edubuntu development and said
> > this earlier in the thread, in case you didn't see it) in answer to:
> >
> > > Is anyone here running Ubuntu on a 486?  Like, anything the -generic
> > > kernel can't run on?  (-386 is a 486 kernel)
> >
> > <quote>
> > yes, huge amounts of LTSP users, mediacenter PC users or people that run
> > ubuntu based routers/firewalls on small HW ...
>
> "Huge" compared to what? Compared to the number of people who run
> Ubuntu for "Desktop" purposes?
please see the GNOME deployment study :)
http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/docs/gnome-deployments-2006/index.html#thin-clients
LTSP and thin client technology are the corporate environments of the
future in my opinion, they significantly tear down the cost of
maintenance through centralization ...

> > there are many new boards that still require at least 486 comaptibility
> > in the kernel ...
> >
> > </quote>
>
> That still doesn't change a bit of the Ubuntu objectives. If Ubuntu is
> useful for them, more power to 'em, but I wouldn't want a worse distro
> on my desktop "just" because some users want it to work on low-end HW
> it wasn't advertised for.
thats the point, LTSP is a fully supported product, you can buy support
for it at canonical if you like ... (our support center even runs
completelly on LTSP) so indeed ubuntu *is* advised for such hardware ...

> Canonical has stated it wants Ubuntu to be the best distro on the
> desktop.
yes, but that doesnt limit it to your personal home desktop or
laptop ...

ciao
	oli