Ubuntu on a 486?

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 11:10:35 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> edubuntu is developed *inside* of ubuntu, like kubuntu and xubuntu are,
> every development i do in edubuntu is something ubuntu gets benefit
> from ... i.e. LTSP is essentially developed in edubuntu, simply because
> its our reference implementation of a deeply integrated LTSP by default,
> but that doesnt mean LTSP is limited to edubuntu, you can use it in
> ubuntu and get the results of the work done in edubuntu under ubuntu.

And Ubuntu can enjoy many of the advances made by the Debian
developers, too. It doesn't touch the point I was making. Somehow,
when I choose to install Ubuntu, I as a desktop user don't do it
because I can easily install LTSP, I do it because it provides me with
an excellent desktop system off the CD, that runs on decent hardware,
with certain limits (both lower, as in older hardware, and upper, as
in "I might have some problems with the latest-and-greatest").

> > "Huge" compared to what? Compared to the number of people who run
> > Ubuntu for "Desktop" purposes?
> please see the GNOME deployment study :)
> http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/docs/gnome-deployments-2006/index.html#thin-clients

Sorry, but I can't see the page right now, as I said in another mail
in this thread. I'm lucky to be able to post here at all. I'll try
afterwards.

> LTSP and thin client technology are the corporate environments of the
> future in my opinion, they significantly tear down the cost of
> maintenance through centralization ...

Yes, though Ubuntu is not planned as "the corporate environment of the
future" right now, is it? I know Edubuntu has very good goals. Most
Linux distros do, for that matter. And I thank you for setting me
right in things I didn't know or was uncertain about. I doubt this has
much to do with what I was talking about.

> > That still doesn't change a bit of the Ubuntu objectives. If Ubuntu is
> > useful for them, more power to 'em, but I wouldn't want a worse distro
> > on my desktop "just" because some users want it to work on low-end HW
> > it wasn't advertised for.
> thats the point, LTSP is a fully supported product, you can buy support
> for it at canonical if you like ... (our support center even runs
> completelly on LTSP) so indeed ubuntu *is* advised for such hardware ...

Good. Is this the main objective of _Ubuntu_ as a distro? Not
Edubuntu, not ChristianBuntu, not etc. Ubuntu. I know I can download
pretty much all I want after installing, even set up debian repos,
compiling source, "alien-ating" rpm packages. They're not on the cd, I
mean. It might sound a bit limiting, but it's not a limit I chose (I'm
glad about it, though, that's why I use Ubuntu). I know I can buy
support from whatever (not only Canonical, but consultants here,
paying directly to developers possibly, etc.). I don't think this is
the point. I don't think this is the main objective for Ubuntu.

The "just" isn't meant to minimize your work, that's why I surrounded
it with "". It's a very important job, which I myself happen not to be
interested directly in, right now.

> yes, but that doesnt limit it to your personal home desktop or
> laptop ...

No, but it certainly limits it, in my opinion, on things that aren't
"home desktops" at all, like Edubuntu terminals. The limitation to go
with GNOME or KDE is more arbitrary, even, but is the point I'm trying
to make: "what should go in the CD to make it the best for this, that
and that other thing?" According to what I see, not KDE, not LTSP,
etc. Right off the CD, at least.

I want to close this with an upbeat note: I appreciate your efforts, I
thank you for dedicating your time to this. Many people enjoy your
work, and I might too, in the future. I'm glad this project exists,
and that you get paid to work directly on it. I hope I made myself
clearer this time.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar