Ubuntu on a 486?

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:43:06 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Martin Marcher <martin.marcher at openforce.com> wrote:
> Still, I'd like to know what you expect to gain if dropping support
> for a certain CPU type (keep in mind it's still x86 not some seldomly
> used architecture)

I said it in the message you answered to:

"Well, the obvious answer would be "the developers Canonical pays for
this would then be able to do something else to provide us with the
best distro on the desktop", or, failing that (it's better to pay
someone to do a job he/she already likes) "Canonical could pay
developers to focus more on their specifical objectives"."

That is what I'd expect to gain from the decision. It's an obvious
answer too. Better gstreamer  dvd support (at least some,
gstreamer0.10-dvd doesn't yet exist, AFAIK), or better evince  pdf
printing support (only now being fixed, bug reported by me), "a better
GNOME desktop" (always room for more polishing). Lots of stuff.

--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar
MSN - GTalk - Jabber: moranar at gmail.com