Kqemu: does it work on Edgy ?

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:06:59 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Or, if it worked as expected, then the accelerator is absolutely
> worthless as it's stil way to slow to be of any use :-/
Did you run it in full virtualization mode?
Read:
<http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html#SEC7>
There are some limitations to what can run in that mode.

To use it add the following command line option when invoking Qemu:
-kernel-kqemu

(run faster for me)

There is a free accelerator that makes use of the VT instructions in
the new Intel Chips (I think the core2 duos may have it but not sure).

If you are lucky enough to have the correct kind of processor look at:
http://kvm.sourceforge.net/

>From the docs, this is how to check your processor:
With a recent enough Linux kernel, run the command:
  egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
If something shows up, you have VT.

And for instructions compiling it on Edgy you can read:
http://popey.com/Compiling_kvm_Under_Ubuntu_Edgy_i386
I have never tried that myself, me PC no good enough :(

I also had to delete my Virtual Machine, it was using up too much disc space.
(But I shall get around to cleaning out all the rubbish on the disc at
some point.)

_ Andy

--
Did you think it should be legal to rip a CD to your PC or MP3 player?
Change the law, sign the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/privatecopy/