ubuntu on a laptop, regular unwanted disc access

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 8 18:56:14 UTC 2006

Running Ubuntu on a laptop here, the drive is formatted Ext3. I
understand that Linux undertakes some tasks etc to keep things running
smoothly, nevertheless every couple of seconds the hard drive light goes
on and I can hear access. It doesn't seem to do much than just access
the hard drive.

Since this is a laptop I am concerned the battery life will be somewhat
degraded because the drive won't ever get to power-save and spin down.

Is there something that is recommended to be altered?

Regards

Gabe