Back to Windows...

Rebel Lion obsidion at ihug.co.nz
Fri Dec 8 04:21:34 UTC 2006

Around Friday 08 December 2006 16:31, Chanchao wibbled of :
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 18:52 -0800, Roger Neth Jr wrote:
> > I had a huge upgrade of Edgy this morning. I have rebooted yet to see
> > how it effects the system. I was wondering if rebooting would be
> > necessary for the Xorg upgrades to take effect?
>
> My understanding that a reboot is only need when the kernel is updated.
> If xorg is updated then I think just logging out and logging back in
> again will restart xorg.

   This is pretty much true, though I tend to do a control-alt-backspace as
well once I am back at the display manager login just to make sure.

> If shit happens, and xorg updates have proven to be iffy in the past,
> then you will find your self having to do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg" ....
>
> Personally when I see a xorg update I don't take it anymore. I would
> perhaps do that update later after seeing if it caused problems for
> people.

  They can be a pain but generally things seem to be settling down in edgy so
hopefully it will work for you. I'm still hanging on to dapper for the moment
though :)

--
~~~ Aaargh no it's mail from some weirdo ~~~
homepages http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~obsidion