When do you turn off your Ubuntu boxes?

Gerry Visel gcvisel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:55:01 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Gerry Visel wrote:
> >    When it's running, it rides on air.  When it shuts down, it makes
> > contact.  Leave it running.
> >
> One of the advantages of top-posting would seem to be that it leaves you
> able to entirely ignore what you're responding to.
>
> I wrote:
> >> I can believe that, but that doesn't mean _no friction_, and how does it
> >> insure that the "bearings" (I mean, really, we have to call something
> >> that doesn't "bear" anything by another name...) can't come into contact
> >> with particulates, causing them to seize?
>
> Do you have an answer, or are you taking it on faith?  Because I have enough
> experience of seized PC fans to be quite interested if you can come up with
> a design that prevents it.
> --
> derek

Derek,

   Sorry.  My other lists are all top-posters.

   My experience with things mechanical (and electrical) says that
problems happen when something changes.  That change can be dirt
getting in or temperature changing or me fiddling in there or me
banging it with my foot or...  Turning the system on and off is a
whole bunch of changes at once.  You try to design for those changes,
but that is when things get stressed.

   (I do periodically shut it down and open it up and vacuum out the
dirt and clean/change filters.  I do cross my fingers when I turn it
back on.)

Gerry
(electro-mechanical design engineer)