how to download through windows

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Dec 4 13:07:54 UTC 2006

Nobody addressed the real question: How to get the modem to work under
Kubuntu...

Which modem do you have?

Send us your lspci and I'll try to figure it out...

Amichai

On 12/4/06, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 16:55 -0500, Anthony Yarusso wrote:
>
> > > i have a kubuntu 6.06 lts, i couldnt configure my modem in it and is
> > > not able to connect to internet from my kubuntu. however i have a
> > > running internet connection on win. xp.
>
> You mean on the same PC, like dual boot? Or you also have an additional
> PC that runs Windows XP and is connected to the internet?
>
> If that's the case (2 PC's) then you can share your Windows dial-up
> connection (Google Windows Connection Sharing) and network your Ubuntu
> PC to the Windows one.  (Can be cross-over cable, or through a hub, or
> wireless)
>
> That's the way I did it for a long time.  Modem support is pretty dismal
> in Ubuntu.  Everyone keeps blaming modem vendors but they're not
> changing, and modems that DO work with Ubuntu out of the box are dying
> out fast.  (As are the serial ports themselves, that those modem would
> connect to. )
>
> Cheers,
> Chanchao

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

--
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at