how to download through windows

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Mon Dec 4 03:39:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 16:55 -0500, Anthony Yarusso wrote:

> > i have a kubuntu 6.06 lts, i couldnt configure my modem in it and is
> > not able to connect to internet from my kubuntu. however i have a
> > running internet connection on win. xp.

You mean on the same PC, like dual boot? Or you also have an additional
PC that runs Windows XP and is connected to the internet?

If that's the case (2 PC's) then you can share your Windows dial-up
connection (Google Windows Connection Sharing) and network your Ubuntu
PC to the Windows one.  (Can be cross-over cable, or through a hub, or
wireless)

That's the way I did it for a long time.  Modem support is pretty dismal
in Ubuntu.  Everyone keeps blaming modem vendors but they're not
changing, and modems that DO work with Ubuntu out of the box are dying
out fast.  (As are the serial ports themselves, that those modem would
connect to. )

Cheers,
Chanchao