more lockup laptop problems with dapper

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 13:03:45 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> Compaq 1700t laptop  ATI Mobility Radeon 3D Hardware Graphics.
>
> I've tried some of the suggestions I've seen posted here but none of
> them view the work.  with breezy, the laptop worked beautifully.  it was
> a joy to use but now, a minute or two after booting, it locks up at any
> to power cycle.
>
> The messages log says nothing useful.  Just a bunch of errors from
> gconfd just before it shuts down since the server is not in use.
>
> The only way I can keep this machine up is by booting into single user mode.
>
> Some ideas of what I should try would be most welcome.
>
> ---eric

Hi Eric,

This might make an interesting experiment.

Boot Knoppix, Puppy, and SUSE live CD (one at a time of course).
While in them capture (like to a USB drive - or to a drive you mount)
/etc/X11/xorg.conf - /var/log/Xorg.0.log - dmesg - /var/log/messages -
var/log/syslog - - - and compair with what Dapper does.  I had a
laptop which looked wonderful running FC5, but Breezy left little
lines near the edges of the screen sometimes.  Changing the Horizontal
and Vertical scan rates to match FC5 cured it.

I would love to know what you find!

Thanks!

Tod