more lockup laptop problems with dapper

James Strandboge jamie at strandboge.com
Wed Aug 30 00:20:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 17:32 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> James Strandboge wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 22:24 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> thank you Jamie.  As requested

I should mention that some 3D screensavers can cause problems.  If your
machine freezes only when the screensaver is on, do:
apt-get remove xscreensaver-gl

Otherwise, don't bother right now.

First do:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility M6 LY [Radeon Mobility 9000]"
> 	Driver		"vesa"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	Option		"KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"
> EndSection

Then please change the above stanza in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility M6 LY
[Radeon Mobility 9000]"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        #Option "KernelModuleParm" "agplock=0"
        Option          "RenderAccel" "off"
EndSection

then reboot (I say reboot because I don't know if you are running gdm,
kdm, somehting else, etc-- basically just want X to restart and a reboot
will do this).  I haven't seen the 'KernelModuleParm' option before-- if
you are sure you need it, then uncomment it, otherwise try leaving it
out.

If the above doesn't 'fix' it for you, try disabling 3D acceleration by
commenting out the 'glx' module like so:

Section "Module"
	Load	"i2c"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
#	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
EndSection

then reboot.

If that doesn't 'fix' it for you, then do:

cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.bak

Then add to the bottom of /boot/grub/menu.lst:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-686 TEST
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro noapic nolapic
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-686
savedefault
boot

The above needs to be after the '### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST'
line.  Then reboot and at the boot prompt, choose the 'Ubuntu, kernel
2.6.15-26-686 TEST' kernel.  This last line removes the graphical boot,
which is required for some radeon cards.  The noapic and nolapic options
disable some oftentimes problematic interrupt handling code in the
kernel.

If the above doesn't 'fix' it for you, then edit the entry you just
added to /boot/grub/menu.lst to be:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-686 TEST
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro noapic nolapic pci=noacpi
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-686
savedefault
boot

and reboot.  If that doesn't 'fix' it for you, change 'pci=noacpi' to
'pci=biosirq' and reboot.  And if that doesn't work, change
'pci=biosirq' to 'acpi=off' and reboot.

Obviously, whenever you reboot, you have to choose the 'Ubuntu, kernel
2.6.15-26-686 TEST' kernel.  If the above doesn't 'fix' it for you, then
you need to enter into an appropriate bug report everything you did, and
also post here.

If any of the above does 'fix' it for you, then please post what worked,
and perhaps we can try re-enabling 3D.  I administer several radeon 7500
in several Thinkpads that use the free 'ati' driver with 3D with no
problems (though the 3D performance isn't great).

Jamie