swap on a lv for hibernation

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Aug 28 11:10:25 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:

>> Do you know how to make sure that partition
>> actually gets used for swap space?
>
> cat /proc/swaps

It's really strange for me; mine is empty.  I can do

  # mkswap /dev/mapper/vg_fast-swap
  # swapon -av

and then swap is back.  And it shows up in

  # free

but it won't get mounted at boot time, and I need to do a new mkswap
before I can do swapon -av again.  Is there a fix for this, or is it
just another way in which ubuntu is LVM-incompatible?

>> Yeah, I thought it did, but now that I see the results of swapon -s on
>> my machine, I'm less sure.  Also, this may have been broken in the
>> recent kernel update
>> (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/50031)
>
> Again: I'm *NOT* using the stock Ubuntu kernel!

So I gather (you don't need to remind me).  I was likely the person
who the OP remembers reporting it working some time ago with the stock
kernel, so I wanted to make sure that all necessary caveats were in
place.

>>> I really don't understand why Ubuntu doesn't create LVM by itself
>>> when it automatically has to create filesystems.
>>
>> The only reason I can think of is that some people who don't know
>> better will be upset when a partition fills up and there is still
>> "plenty of space on the disk."
>
> Yes, that might be right. But there's of course one real downside
> of LVM - you can only use it with Linux. So, if you're dual booting
> to Windows, *BSD, Solaris, ... and need a data exchange space, LVM
> cannot be used.

There's http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs if you're willing to
settle ext2/3 on the Linux side and read-only on the windows side.  I
know, we aren't, though ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting