swap on a lv for hibernation

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Mon Aug 28 07:56:14 UTC 2006

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com>:

> Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:
>
>> In /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf, I set:
>>
>> SuspendDevice swap:/dev/sys/Swap
>
> Hmm, are you sure your LVM swap partition is actually getting used?

Yup.

> Do you know how to make sure that partition
> actually gets used for swap space?

cat /proc/swaps

> Yeah, I thought it did, but now that I see the results of swapon -s on
> my machine, I'm less sure.  Also, this may have been broken in the
> recent kernel update
> (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/50031)

Again: I'm *NOT* using the stock Ubuntu kernel!

>> I find it *extremely* bad, that the GUI installer of 6.06 doesn't
>> support LVM :( As I haven't yet downloaded anything from Edgy, I
>> cannot tell if this has changed - has it?
>
> I find it unfortunate too.
>
>> I really don't understand why Ubuntu doesn't create LVM by itself
>> when it automatically has to create filesystems.
>
> The only reason I can think of is that some people who don't know
> better will be upset when a partition fills up and there is still
> "plenty of space on the disk."

Yes, that might be right. But there's of course one real downside
of LVM - you can only use it with Linux. So, if you're dual booting
to Windows, *BSD, Solaris, ... and need a data exchange space, LVM
cannot be used.

Alexander Skwar
--
The trouble with telling a good story is that it invariably reminds
the other fellow of a dull one.