Service Control on Boot

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Sun Aug 27 19:14:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

When my Ubuntu 6.0.6.1 machine boots up - I see a line saying the PCMCIA
fails.

1) What do I need PCMCIA for (I saw a script called "laptop-mode" in the
rc.5 directory)?
2) Is it safe to remove scripts that seem unnecesary from the
init.ddirectory? I do I decide what it safe to remove?
3) How do I control what's loaded after I logon? Some stuff (like Sessions)
is started evet=y time I logon although it does not show in Sessions
anywhere...

I used to run Fedora Core 5 - there I had the ckconfig tool to check, enable
or disable scripts... antything similar here (CLI based - not the Services
under the Admin menu)?

Thanks !

--

Amichai Rotman