Running "Windows Only" games in WINE

Bill Hartwell raven at macmanusnet.net
Sun Aug 27 10:45:28 UTC 2006

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> I do not know about "wow-craft", but if it is a hardware
> demanding action game and does not run under wine, you could
> search for cedega (i.e. a commercial version of wine, especially
> for games, see www.transgaming.com for more information), and if
> that does not work either, then it might be better to use it on
> a dual boot machine, where windows runs directly on the
> underlying hardware.

As a Cedega user, I have a couple minor (or not so minor) problems with it:

1) Cedega's system is optimized for certain specific games, and those
are the only ones they promise support on. If your game isn't in the
Cedega database as a supported game, you're on your own if you try to
install or run it.

2) Cedega absolutely does not (and will not) support any Windows game
that has a Linux version, even if the Linux version is crap (Neverwinter
Nights is a classic example of this problem).