NetworkManager and dhcp problems in hotels

alvonsius albert alvonsius.albert at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 07:26:55 UTC 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I often find that in hotels, setting up a wifi connection is a
> two-stage process under Windows XP.  First, I must connect to the
> access point and then, when I open a web browser, I am redirected to a
> log-in/sign-up screen.  Once I have paid for access, my network
> requests start going through.
>
> I often find that something breaks down in this process when I am
> running Linux.  Tonight I have been trying to get a wifi connection
> working at a Shilo Inn Hotel, which provides free wireless, but still
> redirects my first browser connection attempt to an agreement page.
> Unfortunately, I had to boot Windows to get to the page.  Also, when I
> try to use NetworkManager in Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (very current NM code),
> I get:
>
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
> Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
>
> Listening on LPF/eth1/00:12:f0:5e:db:2f
> Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:12:f0:5e:db:2f
> Sending on   Socket/fallback
> DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> DHCPACK from 192.168.21.254
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> bound to 192.168.21.10 -- renewal in 6356 seconds.
>
> I have:   network-manager     0.6.2-0ubuntu7
>
> After hunting about on the web, I eventually found the suggestion that
> I needed to use "route" to add a default gateway.  After some
> experimentation, I found that:
>
>       route add default gw 192.168.21.254
>
> got my connection working.
>
> So, here's my question, why does WindowsXP set up this automatically
> and NetworkManager doesn't?  Is this a bug in NM or in dhclient3 or in
> dhcdbd?  Who should I follow up with?
> Since I have run into this issue many times, I suspect it is creating
> trouble for many, many other Linux laptop users.
>
> Thanks,
>           Miles

In my case, everything works OK. The gateway was automagically set to
the appropriate address. Even with dhcpclient or KNetworkManager (KDE
version of NM) too. Maybe the simple explanation was in the statement:

DHCPACK from 192.168.21.254
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

It seems somehow the address is unreachable that time so NM cant
register the address as gateway. Well, cmiiw please, coz I'm still new
at this too hehe ...

--
Alvonsius Albert N

"Do whatever you like, but remember to take care all the responsibilities"

Currently Blog at http://alvonsius.blogsome.com