Problems at Install of 6.06

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 09:35:47 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, Gabriel Vescovi <gabrielvescovi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I´m getting a problem at the installation of the 6.06 version...
>
> The installation just stop on "configuring some drivers" (or "loading some
> drivers", i cant remember o.O)
>
> Well after some hundreds of times trying, i could enter in the system just 2
> times, and i couldn´t install the system because i hasnt made backup of my
> stuffs yet... so, now that i made the backups, and be ready to install...
> puf! i cant enter in the system again, and stop´s at the same message...
>
> I tried to disable the USB, i configured the Bios of the PC... well..
> nothing works!
>
> My Hardware is: Athlon XP 2000+, Asus A7V8X-MX, 768MB Ram, and a Radeon 9200
> se ... (nothing unusual here...)
>
> Thanks!

Hi Gabriel Vescovi!

First the disclaimer - been a long day, it is late, use at your own risk.

If I were you I believe I would do the following:

1. Check out the "F-X" menus as you start the live CD (press F1 for
help - if memory serves and something like F6 for hardware problems
which I think you have).  Look for an item which will limit the video
parameters (something like VGA=765 or some such - no time to run the
Boot CD right now).  Read carefully how to add the line to the boot
prompt and try booting with limited video (graphics).

2. Obtain the latest Knoppix and or Puppy Linux.  Knoppix is probably
best for you.  Boot the Live CD and capture all the video settings
(/etc/X11/xorg.conf , lsmod (looking for video) an in /proc concerning
video - find out which drivers loaded and how set).  You may be able
to transfer these to your now limited video and see more graphics.

3. Search Google concerning Linux and your hardware.  There seem to be
a lot of possible hints out there.

Now I assumed that you are not able to boot the live CD.  If you hang
in an install:

0.a  This is possibly a hardware problem.  Where you can, try
different hardware. Change out the video card, HD, Monitor, etc.

0.b Try a ctl+c .  Often this will cause the script to jump out of
it's "loop" and back into the stream.

1. try ctl+alt+F1 and see if the machine will go to a prompt.  If so
you can do some snooping to see what happened (var/log !!).

2. If not, my guess is that the MBR is not pointed properly (try
changing out the HD).  This is complicated.  Type back if you need
more help on this.

Good Hunting!

Tod