TCP wrappers - starting tcpd ?

Dave S ubuntu at pusspaws.net
Fri Aug 25 11:21:03 UTC 2006

I am trying out tcp wrappers on dapper. I added the classic

/etc/hosts.deny ... ALL : ALL

expecting my ssh connections to he stopped ... they still worked. I
restarted /etc/init.d/ssh ... the connections still worked

Googling TCP wrappers they used to only support services started by inetd -
something I am not running but apparently this is no longer necessary.

So I checked which services were TCP wrapper aware

dave at dave-comp:~$ apt-cache showpkg libwrap0 | egrep '^[[:space:]]' |
sort -u | sed 's/,libwrap0$//;s/^[[:space:]]\+//' | grep ssh
openssh-server
ssh-krb5
dave at dave-comp:~$

so openssh-server is aware (ssh).

I Googled some more and checked I had ...

root at dave-comp:~# apt-get install tcpd libwrap0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
tcpd is already the newest version.
libwrap0 is already the newest version.
root at dave-comp:~#

I would have expected tcpd to be running scouring /etc/hosts.????
periodically since changes in /etc/hosts.???? are supposed to be actioned
immediately.

root at dave-comp:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep tcpd
12416 pts/1    R+     0:00 grep tcpd
root at dave-comp:/etc/init.d#

So no tcpd ... checking /etc/init.d I cant find anything that may start tcpd -
assuming that is that tcpd should be running (only my guess :)

Can anyone help me on this one ?

Thanks in advance

Dave