Rebuilt kernel => no consoles?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Aug 24 15:01:45 UTC 2006

Alan Mckinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> writes:

> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:21 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>> > Do you mean the wireless driver itself doesn't show up?
>>
>> No, the driver shows up but the card is missing from any interface
>> where it can be activated or configured.  Device manager (for what
>> that's worth) shows "Unknown (0x4227)" for that PCI slot, which is
>> just like the kernel where the card shows up and works, but in the
>> patched kernel is missing the "WLAN interface" sub-entry.
>
> That's exactly the symptom I was getting with ipw2200 using vanilla
> sources - no response whatsoever from any of the tools (except lspci).
> Once I compiled the out-of-tree modules from sourceforge, the card came
> up and worked perfectly just like it should.
>
> Try it for your card - I believe there is a project for that one too
>
>> > If so I have no idea - I could never get the vanilla ipw2200 to work
>> > at all so now I use the drivers direct from that project at
>> > sourceforge.
>>
>> I'm using whatever comes packaged with the dapper kernel sources,
>> which should work.
>
> Note the "should"   :-)

Yeah.  But I mean, c'mon.  It works in the kernel from the repository,
which they supposedly built from the exact same sources.  Yeah, I
know, note the "supposedly."  But really, how could this happen?

Note: the driver from the repository is just an earlier version of the
one from the sourceforge project.  And it comes up in dmesgs just as
it should.

However, the line

  ipw3945: Detected geography ABG (11 802.11bg channels, 13 802.11a channels)

is missing.

>> > It requires that the 802.11 stack and the ipw2200
>> > driver be deselected in .config,
>>
>> *de*- selected?  You mean, to keep the ones that come with the kernel
>>  from taking effect?
>
> Yes, highlight the option in menuconfig and press "n". The out of tree
> modules provide their own 802.11 stack and modules which replace the
> in-tree ones.

Ugh.  Another day gone to waste (or education, depending on your
perspective ;->) Seriously, though, I don't mean to be sour.  Thanks
for taking the time.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting