Rebuilt kernel => no consoles?

Alan Mckinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Aug 24 13:47:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:21 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> > Do you mean the wireless driver itself doesn't show up?
>
> No, the driver shows up but the card is missing from any interface
> where it can be activated or configured.  Device manager (for what
> that's worth) shows "Unknown (0x4227)" for that PCI slot, which is
> just like the kernel where the card shows up and works, but in the
> patched kernel is missing the "WLAN interface" sub-entry.

That's exactly the symptom I was getting with ipw2200 using vanilla
sources - no response whatsoever from any of the tools (except lspci).
Once I compiled the out-of-tree modules from sourceforge, the card came
up and worked perfectly just like it should.

Try it for your card - I believe there is a project for that one too

> > If so I have no idea - I could never get the vanilla ipw2200 to work
> > at all so now I use the drivers direct from that project at
> > sourceforge.
>
> I'm using whatever comes packaged with the dapper kernel sources,
> which should work.

Note the "should"   :-)

> > It requires that the 802.11 stack and the ipw2200
> > driver be deselected in .config,
>
> *de*- selected?  You mean, to keep the ones that come with the kernel
>  from taking effect?

Yes, highlight the option in menuconfig and press "n". The out of tree
modules provide their own 802.11 stack and modules which replace the
in-tree ones.

alan