wine

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Wed Aug 23 17:46:29 UTC 2006

Not totally an Ubuntu topic, but i'm a bit stumped as far as getting
programs to work under wine.  The googling and reading up on winehq
helped me get wine installed, and short list of packages listed that run
out of the box is fine, but I'm having a real time of getting anything
else to cooperate.

For example, I installed Punch! Pro Platinum to do some floor planning
(qcad docs are too light, and no one seems to know how to get started
with it).  Opening the program, I get a few OpenGL errors which don't
seem to effect the running of the app much, but every cursor movement
brings up a dialog telling me that the undo state can't be set, and that
the hard drive is full.  Then, if I move the window the drawing is in,
the entire layout will disappear, leaving the four outside dimensions on
the screen and nothing else.  The only way to 'refresh' this is to kill
the app and restart it.

Is there a way to debug these kinds of problems in wine?  Do I need to
compile wine from source?

Any input is appreciated.  I moved to Linux because I'm really
comfortable in this environment, having had a long background in the
Unix world, but I need these apps to work, and I'm a bit of a purist
which keeps me from having to setup the desktop as a dual-boot.