xserver-xorg-core update breaks X

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:50:55 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Eamonn Sullivan <eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Nils Brünggel <n.bruenggel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So much to the enterprise ready distribution.. I spent the whole
> > morning figuring out why the fuck the xserver does not work anymore
> > until i remebered that there was an update for it yesterday.
> >
> > I really cannot imagine how this would happen if somebody tried the
> > package before uploading.
>
> I can. For many, it worked fine. I'm curious to find out what
> combination of hardward/whatever caused the failure. It's impossible
> to tell from the threads on ubuntu-user whether this affected 92
> percent of current users or 2 percent. I suspect the latter.

I'm running the updated (.3) version, the one with the "bug" in it and
it's working fine for me on my Dell Optiplex GX620 (with the standard
built-in Intel 945G graphics).  I assume this patch will back out on
my machine as soon as update-notifer notices that there's a new
version.

cbell at demeter:~$ dpkg -s xserver-xorg-core | grep Version
Version: 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.3

And, well, I'm writing this from Gmail on the machine that's cut and
pasted from, so yes, I can understand a bad patch getting out the
door. ;-)

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."