Dapper corrupts Dell laptop BIOS!

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Tue Aug 22 14:11:46 UTC 2006

Hello,

I just discovered that [1] Dapper corrupts the BIOS of some Dell
laptops.

[1]:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/43745

Honestly, I fell cheated.

My laptop is unuseable. It won't boot from a CD, or an external
USB stick.

My biggest trouble with this is:

1. this bug is known for months;
2. it renders a laptop *completely*broken*;
3. there is no warning, or note about "serious risk of totally breaking
   your Dell laptop" at the laptop support page or at the download site
   for Ubuntu CDs.
4. the bug is CONFIRMED but (a) hasn't been assigned to anyone and (b)
   is not CRITICAL!!!

The motherboard bios gets corrupted by Ubuntu and the bug is not
critical?!?

I can deal with a broken upgrade, for as long as I still have the option
to go back, I'll make no big deal of it. But this is another order of
magnitute.

BTW this is only repport for Ubuntu Dapper, no other distro seems to
have the problem.

[...]

Right now I still trying to find out where exactly is the coin cell
battery, and what are the risks of removing it...

Any help or advice is heartily appreciated.

thanks,
--
Francisco