My first AMD64 experience :( - some questions answered...

Johann Spies js at wdsl.co.za
Mon Aug 21 20:58:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 01:16:42PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> Dapper kernel (2.6.15) and then my first problems started:  I could not
> get it to boot the 2.6.15 kernel.  In the end I tried a Debian 2.6.16

> But the nvidia-setup gave me serious trouble.  I never had to reboot a
> Linux computer that often in my life.  It sporadically happened that
> after changing to the console from X11, I could not get back to X11.
> Restarting gdm did not fix the problem and I regularly had the problem
> that I was left with an unusable computer which had to be reset.

Both of the above problems were caused by corrupt memory chips.  After
replacing the memory and flashing the bios, both problems were solved.

> The last Microsoft Windows I was using on a regular basis was 3.1.  I
> have been a Linux user since 1995.  I have always boasted that Linux is
> stable.  This one is no more stable than the 3.1 I have been using years
> ago.  Is it the hardware?  Is it poor Ubuntu software? Or poor
> nvidia-software?

Now I know that hardware was the cause of a lot of my frustration.

Regards
Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 021-982 2694 / 082 782 0336 / 021-808 4036(w)
             Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught
      up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord
      in the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17