External monitor on IBM T41 laptop

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 21 13:38:28 UTC 2006

Hi!

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:36:01AM +0200, Johan Tibell wrote:
> I would like to use my somewhat bigger monitor when at work. The
> native resolution of the laptop's LCD is 1024x768 and the external
> monitor's resolution is 1280x1024.

Same situation here (Thinkpad T42, Radeon 7500).  I do want to use both
monitors at the same time, though.

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf is available here: http://mg.pov.lt/xorg.conf
It is somewhat more complicated than strictly necessary, because I
experimented with several configurations, and these are all available as
different server layouts.  The default one is 1024x768 + 1280x1024
dual-head config.

Now the bad news: the open-source ATI driver in Dapper has a bug that
causes the laptop to freeze hard if I try to switch between dual-head
and single-head configurations at runtime with xrandr.  This used to
work fine in Breezy, but IIRC in Breezy I couldn't use the full
resolution of the external monitor.

There are also very occassional freezes that happen during workspace
switches.  I also attribute them to the radeon driver (memtest86+ ran
for 17 hours and didn't discover any memory problems).

Marius Gedminas
--
A computer without Windows 9x is like a fish without a bicycle.
		-- With apologies to Gloria Steinem