OpenVPN Installation Bridged Ethernet

Igor Davidov inventive at ns.sbb.co.yu
Sun Aug 20 13:59:13 UTC 2006

Before posting to this list I did search through Ubuntu forums,
different FAQs, web tutorials etc. (OpenVPN WIKI is down for some reason).

My home configuration is:

internet/dyndns > eth0 UbuntuServer eth1/eth2 > UbuntuBOX/WinBOX
UbuntuServer is configured as firewall/router/http&ftp server

everything is working perfectly with two subnets - one on each
interfece, now I want to bridge those interfaces to have NetBIOS flow
between UbuntuBOX and WinBOX and to keep Internet broadband connection.

OpenVPN installation went well, I did generate server/client keys, CA,
etc. I installed bridge-utils, did enabled virtual intefaces. Finally I
did this:

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth1
brctl addif br0 eth2
openvpn --mktun --dev tap0
brctl addif br0 tap0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig eth2 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig br0 192.168.0.235 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255

clients cannot ping each other, /etc/init.d/openvpn start -- failed...

any idea ?