How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall

Kevin Zhao klzhao at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 04:48:36 UTC 2006

Hi, Tod,

Thanks again. The hidden partition is totally hidden to me so far. I
think I need to give it up :]

I think this problem is solved. That is how to delete all partitions.
And dd rules.

On the other hand I am seeking for some other "tender way" (as i
suppose) to hide those "problematic" linux partitions to things like
"powerquest". I will open a new thread in this maillist. Basically the
question is whether i can make those linux partitions pretend to be
one big partition and hide all the internal structure, as well as the
"errors" to windows application.

Thanks and regards,
Kevin

On 8/18/06, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/06, ZHAO Keliang Kevin <cs_zkx at stu.ust.hk> wrote:
> > Hi, Tod,
> >
> > Thank you for your email. I spent quite a lot of hours in this matter.
> >
> > I have succeeded to try "fixmbr" and to play with mbr in livecd as
> > well. Now i can fixmbr in windows and let xp manage mbr. I did some
> > search and figure out that "fixmbr", or "restoration console" can be
> > added to xp such that xp CD is still not needed.
> >
> > What is disappointing is after "fixmbr", recovery CDs still don't
> > work. So far everything should be fine, except the recovery CDs, or
> > perhaps the "power quest" used by the recovery CDs which _found_ some
> > error in partitions and mess up the recovery procedure. Maybe it is
> > the laptop manufacturer who use such software that needs to be blamed.
> >
> > So I guess if I return to my original goal -- erase the MBR, the CDs
> > should work then since there should be no more error. But I am
> > reluctant to.
> >
> > Another possible way is to invoke the "hidden partition for recovery"
> > on my disk, which is a common trick for thinkpad and may not use
> > powerquest. But as you told, I lost the original OEM MBR so I always
> > fail to call it. On the other hand, I cannot see the parition in
> > either xp or ubuntu, therefore i don't know how to boot load it by
> > myself. Actually what i can see is i have 4-5 Gb missing. I am even
> > not sure if the partition is intact.
> >
> > I am a bit off topic if I proceed. I guess the problem becomes how to
> > fix the partition errors found by the "powerquest". I use
> > partitionmagic under xp and it tells error 117, namely "Partition's
> > drive letter cannot be identified", then refuse to initialize. Obvious
> > such error is endurable as both xp and ubuntu works fine. But it will
> > prevent the recovery every time.
> >
> > Oh well maybe i should eventually erase the MBR. But if I install two
> > systems again next time. I am afraid that I have to erase everything
> > again when i want to recovery in future.
> >
> > That's really a great way to seperate windows and linux. Installing
> > either one should be OK.
> >
> > hah.. Thanks again. Your name is so interesting!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kevin
> >

> > On 8/17/06, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi again Kevin,
> > >
> > > With what I know now my first step would be to make a copy of the MBR
> > > (in links above).  And then another copy when whatever Linux/GRUB had
> > > replaced it.  I think my first step whenever working with an MBR from
> > > now on will tend to by to copy whatever is there.
> > >
> > > But my guess is that now our life will be a bit more interesting.
> > >
> > > What do I think I know:
> > >
> > > 1. There is a serial number and marker in the XP-MBR which your OEM
> > > might just be looking for.  If so, you will need to talk with your
> > > OEM.
> > >
> > > 2. If your old XP MBR is really forever lost I would be tempted to try
> > > the Ultimate Boot CD's XP MBR repair ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
> [...]

Kevin ZHAO Keliang
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology