How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 05:25:16 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Kevin Zhao <klzhao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Tod,
>
> Thanks again. The hidden partition is totally hidden to me so far. I
> think I need to give it up :]
>
> I think this problem is solved. That is how to delete all partitions.
> And dd rules.
>
> On the other hand I am seeking for some other "tender way" (as i
> suppose) to hide those "problematic" linux partitions to things like
> "powerquest". I will open a new thread in this maillist. Basically the
> question is whether i can make those linux partitions pretend to be
> one big partition and hide all the internal structure, as well as the
> "errors" to windows application.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Kevin
>
> On 8/18/06, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/17/06, ZHAO Keliang Kevin <cs_zkx at stu.ust.hk> wrote:
> > > Hi, Tod,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your email. I spent quite a lot of hours in this matter.
> > >
> > > I have succeeded to try "fixmbr" and to play with mbr in livecd as
> > > well. Now i can fixmbr in windows and let xp manage mbr. I did some
> > > search and figure out that "fixmbr", or "restoration console" can be
> > > added to xp such that xp CD is still not needed.
> > >
> > > What is disappointing is after "fixmbr", recovery CDs still don't
> > > work. So far everything should be fine, except the recovery CDs, or
> > > perhaps the "power quest" used by the recovery CDs which _found_ some
> > > error in partitions and mess up the recovery procedure. Maybe it is
> > > the laptop manufacturer who use such software that needs to be blamed.
> > >
> > > So I guess if I return to my original goal -- erase the MBR, the CDs
> > > should work then since there should be no more error. But I am
> > > reluctant to.
> > >
> > > Another possible way is to invoke the "hidden partition for recovery"
> > > on my disk, which is a common trick for thinkpad and may not use
> > > powerquest. But as you told, I lost the original OEM MBR so I always
> > > fail to call it. On the other hand, I cannot see the parition in
> > > either xp or ubuntu, therefore i don't know how to boot load it by
> > > myself. Actually what i can see is i have 4-5 Gb missing. I am even
> > > not sure if the partition is intact.
> > >
> > > I am a bit off topic if I proceed. I guess the problem becomes how to
> > > fix the partition errors found by the "powerquest". I use
> > > partitionmagic under xp and it tells error 117, namely "Partition's
> > > drive letter cannot be identified", then refuse to initialize. Obvious
> > > such error is endurable as both xp and ubuntu works fine. But it will
> > > prevent the recovery every time.
> > >
> > > Oh well maybe i should eventually erase the MBR. But if I install two
> > > systems again next time. I am afraid that I have to erase everything
> > > again when i want to recovery in future.
> > >
> > > That's really a great way to seperate windows and linux. Installing
> > > either one should be OK.
> > >
> > > hah.. Thanks again. Your name is so interesting!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kevin

> [...]

I am speaking a bit beyond my real knowledge here but I would be
scared to use "dd" do delete a disk.  Why?  Because I am afraid that I
might inadvertently scrap an "internal" partition table.  They always
say "talk to the disk manufacturer" for things like cleaning a whole
disk down to the nubs.  I am suspicious that there may be things on
the disk needed by the disk to manage itself that "dd" might just
scrub right over given the chance.

Recently I unloaded Linux (Ubuntu and FC5 dual boot) from a laptop and
did a very fresh install of XP.  I remember that the recovery console
was very happy with a simple "fixmbr" command, and that all of the
existing partitions showed up, could be, and were deleted from the
recovery console (or as part of the install - memory fuzzy here).  I
remember that when I created a new NTFS "whole disk" partition on the
Laptops 40gb drive XP recommended a "slow" path, I took it, and it was
at least a half an hour formatting the drive.

The XP partition editor, and or "parted" would be my first choice to
manage partitions.

In the past, Linux had been put on the Laptop because it came to us
used, probably had a pirated version (no disks provided) of some
windows OS on it that did not do the job for the video display which
hung if you tried to do much graphical.  I thought I was going to have
a time updating BIOS and video card drivers but when the install was
fresh XP being connected to the net (now months from when we got the
laptop) all went well.  The machine belongs to my daughter and she is
into you-tube video major - it will probably not see Linux again
unless I find some really good video editors she wants not ported to
MS.

I shall look for your new thread.

Have fun my friend!

Tod