FasterDapper

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 17 13:47:08 UTC 2006

Marman wrote:

> First a little backround: I ran the Automatix script on a fresh Dapper
> install to get Frostwire and some other packages that I use daily.
> Everything was stable for the last month or so...
>
> When I ran the faster-dapper.sh script I noticed it broke Frostwire. I
> took a look at the code and found this part to be the culprit as the
> Frostwire launcher - /usr/lib/frostwire/runFrost.sh script requires a
> bash interpreter in order for it to work correctly:

Your workaround is reasonable for someone who's gone above and beyond
Ubuntu :-) but it seems to me that the real problem here is that
runFrost.sh must have a shebang line of "#! /bin/sh".  If it absolutely
needs bash, file a bug against frostwire asking them to fix it to
be "#! /bin/bash", then it doesn't matter what the default shell is.

Personally, it seems unlikely that faster-dapper is going to help me much,
at least in this regard.  I don't run many shell scripts that take any
great amount of time, and when I'm _in_ the shell, I want all the bashisms.
--
derek