CUPS not printing via ipp: protocol

sitara ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Aug 17 07:55:57 UTC 2006

I was frustrated by this 'change in behaviour' for quite a while until I
found this post. I have a small home office network with a printer
attached to one of the clients (the host), i.e. not a dedicated server.
I had always been able to control the printer options and print from any
computer in the network, including the host. With the 'change' in cups I
was only able to print from the host. The solution in this post solved
my problem, however:

Using 1) above I could only control print options from the host. Using
2) above I could not print to the printer from the host because it was
defined as 'raw'. What I have now done is to add the printer twice on
the host, once as raw and once with a driver. I can now print to the
driver queue from the host and to the raw queue from other computers on
the network. It works for me, but no better than it did before the
'change in behaviour'. If the new behaviour is intentional there should
have been a warning attached to the new package. Otherwise it should be
regarded as a bug.

--
sitara