ubuntu update without internet access

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Aug 16 15:54:47 UTC 2006

Hi Sebastien,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:40:41 +0200
sebastien <scamot2004 at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Refering also to the thread 'neubie to linux need a lot of
> info', here is my question :
>
> Is it possible to download ubuntu updates on a USB key, or any
> other mobile mass-storage device.
> Tha means : download the appropriate files (?) and make this
> device listed in the sources.list....?

sure. You can use cdroms and basically any local directory, that
you want, provided that, before using it you
a) create a file called Packages.gz within the directory (for
packages, not sources)
b) you enter the location into your sources.list, either
directly or, more graphically, ex. via synaptic.

As I never will be able to remember the exact syntax of the very
few necessairy commands, I usually refer to this:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto

kind regards
Eberhard