neubie with linux - need a lot of info

Ian Kabeary omega21 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:52:33 UTC 2006

> Hello there, and welcome!
>
> Ubuntu won't let you play closed source files by diffult cause then it
> wouldn't be free anymore, but the problem is easily solved, it just
> might not be legal for your country (generally the US and a few other
> countries it's illegal to do this).
>
> Goto this page:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
>
> It tells you how to play all your media.

[OT]
They should have a US / Canada version that includes this by default,
although its easy to do, people who are using Ubuntu as their first Linux
install may have issues. My friend certainly did-- he went on for two weeks
about how "Linux cant even play an MPEG file? Thats *SO* stupid!". So
annoying!
[/OT]

Also take a look through this page, as it has lots of great newbie info:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
>
> Cheers, and Enjoy!
>

> On 8/16/06, Elsabe <elsabe at valic.co.za> wrote:
> >

> > hi,
> > I have just installed UBUNTU 6.06 on my AMD Athlone with the following
> > hardware; - 722 mb  CPu, 256 mb ram, maxtor 80 g hhd, geforce fx 6200
> > graphic card and some kind of DVD writer aaand no internet at home.
> >
> > i have never even considered to use linux before now and i must say i'm
> very
> > much impressed with what i got except for the fact that to a old
> microsoft
> > user, it's very different.
> >
> > the first thing i tested was to try and watch a movie, and needless to
> say,
> > it didn't work. the system said that i need some sort of codex or
> something
> > to enable me to watch VOB files.
> >
> > then i noticed my geforce card was not installed as a geforce but as a
> vga.
> >
> > then i tried to install a linux based game - and once again i made a
> total
> > mess of things. don't know how to intall.
> >
> > please remember i do not have internet access at home and i'm very
> definitly
> > going to learn this operating system, so can you help me on how and what
> > must do.
> >

> > --

~Ian