neubie with linux - need a lot of info

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Aug 16 14:42:07 UTC 2006

Hi Elsabe,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:17:33 +0200
"Elsabe" <elsabe at valic.co.za> wrote:

> hi,
> I have just installed UBUNTU 6.06 on my AMD Athlone with the
> following hardware; - 722 mb  CPu, 256 mb ram, maxtor 80 g
> hhd, geforce fx 6200 graphic card and some kind of DVD writer
> aaand no internet at home.
>
> i have never even considered to use linux before now and i
> must say i'm very much impressed with what i got except for
> the fact that to a old microsoft user, it's very different.
>
> the first thing i tested was to try and watch a movie, and
> needless to say, it didn't work. the system said that i need
> some sort of codex or something to enable me to watch VOB
> files.
>
> then i noticed my geforce card was not installed as a geforce
> but as a vga.
>
> then i tried to install a linux based game - and once again i
> made a total mess of things. don't know how to intall.
>
> please remember i do not have internet access at home and i'm
> very definitly going to learn this operating system, so can
> you help me on how and what i must do.

wellcome to the world of Linux and congratulations on the
courage that you evidently have. The rewards are very quickly to
show up.

My recommendations:
1. Install synaptic on your box, this is a graphical packet
manager and makes it easy to install, upgrade or remove
programs, which are called "packets" on Linux, btw.
.
Open a so called terminal, that means a textual menu (very
similar to Windows Start/run/command) and type:
"sudo apt-get install synaptic" (without _"_)  That will do it.
Next you should find synaptic in your menu. Start it, give your
password and install whatever comes to your mind.

2. Go to a place where you have Internet access and download the
new Maintenance Version 6.06.1 from there. This is roughly
identical to 6.06, but includes any update that has been
released since the release of 6.06
This is only needed because there is no internet access at your
home, so that you will not be able to download the updates from
the Internet. When you have the CD, enter Synaptic once more and
choose "Edit/add CDrom", then click on "reload", "mark all
upgrades" and "apply". More quickly than you will know, anything
will be updated.

I'd suggest, this will be ok for a start and I am sure, you will
soon ome back with more questions. You are wellcome to do so.
Feel free to ask anything that's on your mind. This list is here
to help you.

kind regards
Eberhard